Monday, January 24, 2011

New Edition of Community Works Journal, now available online

[Announcement from he-sl listserv]


Dear Colleagues,

The Winter 2011 Edition of Community Works Journal is now available on 
line, available to educators at no cost.

As always you will find a wealth of ideas, information, and resources 
through the writing and reflections of our educator contributors.

 From Baltimore to Los Angeles, the ideals of service-learning, 
education for sustainability, and place based education resonate 
through the articles and essays featured in Community Works Journal. 
As you read these inspiring stories consider your own place and 
efforts and think about submitting an article of your own. Feel free 
to contact us if you would like assistance in framing a reflective 
piece that showcases work in your community. (Submission guidelines 
are available on our web site)
GO TO: http://www.communityworksjournal.org


FEATURED ARTICLES INCLUDE

• Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired: Food Activism at Fannie Lou 
Hamer Freedom High School
By ANDREW WOLF
I walked into my first food justice class in New York City last year. 
After writing “food justice” on the board, I waited for the class to 
arrive. As the students made their way into the room, it didn’t seem 
like many of them were taking notice of either the visitor (me) or the 
chalkboard. I was introduced by the students’ advisory teacher, Luz. A 
little nervous about getting the students interested in how food gets 
to our tables, I began by telling the class who I was and asking a 
starter question. “Who here knows what food justice is?” I asked. more

• The Park That Kids Built
By LINDA JASSIM
In 1982 I came across a story in the Los Angeles Times that intrigued 
me. As a documentary filmmaker I was always on the lookout for a 
meaningful story that could effect change in people’s lives.  This one 
was compelling. It was about a group of 5th and 6th graders who lived 
in an impoverished South Los Angeles neighborhood and their two green 
and idealistic teachers who thought they could change their world. more

• EVENTS—PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
In partnership with Shelburne Farms, Community Works Institute is 
pleased to announce a series of unique professional development events 
for 2011. Among the events being offered are CWI's Institute on 
Service-Learning and Shelburne Farm's Education for Sustainability 
Institute. All events are appropriate for K-16 educators 
administrators, and community organization educators and staff 
members. more

The Sometimes Surprising Possibility of Place: From White Oaks to 
Streetcars
By SARAH ANDERSON
I was on the lookout for a location where I could use my place-based 
training. It would be a place that captured the imagination—an urban 
pond that hid painted turtles like tiny jewels, a block of historic 
houses full of ghosts and legends or a public space that served as a 
gathering ground for the elderly or recent immigrants. But my new 
school sat in the middle of a neighborhood which has few apparent 
links to the past—most of the buildings were torn down mid-century to 
make way for a new highway, condos, office building and warehouses. more

• Something to Smile About
By DR. MARY LASHLEY
“I came in as an emergency patient from the Helping Up Mission for a 
tooth pain. I had been taking antibiotics (3) three times this year 
for the problem but it kept resurfacing. Your students explained that 
since the tooth was infected inside the antibiotic was only a 
temporary relief never fixing the problem.  Knowing that I have not 
been at the…Mission very long, I knew that the only thing that the 
school was going to do was yank the tooth out. more

• Digging Deeper: Charting a Path to Change Through Service-Learning 
and Sustainability
By RICK COTA
The experiences of an educator from Mississippi gave me unique 
perspective that I would not otherwise have ever had an opportunity 
for. Another educator from Hawaii gave me insight on the challenges 
that one has on an island paradise...that I later found out were the 
same as I had in California. What the Institute did for me was allow 
me the opportunity to share with individuals from different parts of 
the United States and abroad and realize that we all had unique 
experiences that we could all relate to. more

Best, Regards,

Joe
_____________________________
Joe Brooks
Executive Director
Community Works Institute
PO Box 1390
Claremont, CA 91711
tel: 909-480-3966
cell: 909-660-2434
email: jbrooks@communityworksinstitute.org
url: www.communityworksinstitute.org

No comments:

Post a Comment